Wednesday 7 October 2009

"Happy Birthday Miracle " you have survived against all the odds!

 


HAPPY BIRTHDAY !



 


P1040637 I am going to tell you the history of my Miracle a little Thoroughbred foal,he was born one year ago today  and poor thing, he did not imagine that he was coming into a  world full of joy and pain, the pain immediately arrived when Cassie his mother became really ill after his birth and we could not do anything to maintain her life without her suffering terribly.Cassie" or to use her registered name "Greenham Gal" was the proud mother of nine foals, some of whom are now top international 3 day eventers in the UK.


"Cassie" had been "barren" for numerous years and three different veterinary surgeons had told us that she was unable to have any more foals.


She proved us wrong and secretly became pregnant at the ripe old age of 23 years.


During the previous 11 months she had been boarding at the next door farm with lots of other female horses, however she had a secret, she was pregnant by her grandson who was only 2 years old at the date of this" immaculate conception".


Poor "Cassie"P1040606 she had a very difficult birth but her eyes lit up at the sight of her new born foal.Sue immediately named him "Miracle" and he certainly has lived up to his name.


From the birth Cassie had virtually no milk and she was very uncomfortable and looked so very sad.


 I think that she knew that something was wrong with her because of the look in her eyes, I made her the promise that I would look after her foal.


 This was truly painful for me, because I never have been so close and attached to a horse like I had been with Cassie.


P1040656 She was constantly sick and in need of huge doses of antibiotics and she was not improving.She loved her baby so very much and tried to show him that she loved him even when she was really ill.


 


 


 She knew that we were helping her and that something serious was wrong with her.

 Her face told us the story. Three weeks after Miracle was born , it happened, one day she went to heaven and left us  with a very special memory of her ,a gorgeous colt.


Poor "Miracle" he cried and cried for his mother and it truly broke our hearts.




 


P1050307At this dreadful  time I decided that I would look after "Miracle "as if he was my baby,therefore I began feeding him first every 30 minutes day and night, and then increasing the time after that  to every three hours day and night .At first he sucked from  a syringe then he was able to drink from a bottle and finally from  the bucket, consequently it gave me very little  freedom!


However it was wonderfully satisfying to help him stay alive!


 


 


P1050013It was very difficult to let him behave like a horse because he was my baby and he was following me everywhere, he now believed that I was his mother and that he was a human,in fact, he was trying to come with me inside the caravan, washing room, or even trying to come up the stairs with me hahaha !


He had a silly trick of taking the zip of my coat in his teeth and opening and closing this zip all the time ( it was a toy to him)


 


 


P1040887   P1050340


 When Sue said to me that I should let him go with the other horses, I was very sad because I didn’t want him to be treated badly by them ,so we decided to put him firstly with Woody who was his 18 year old half brother who just adored foals, at the beginning he was looking for me and calling for me constantly like a crazy thing, “Oh my  poor baby”.


I had to  let him become  a horse because if I did not let him go, later it would  be very painful for him if he was rejected by the other horses in the herd.


Now, he is still  the baby of  the herd, they love ,play and protect him as their own  it’s a pleasure to see him playing and galloping around  with his older relatives!


P1060659  P1040796


 


 P1050062 


 When he was turned out with all the other horses,most days, he was getting  himself into trouble  with them and also with me ,so I had to try to sort out his problems for him, I must be honest some days  it was easy to help him  but other times it was very complicated for me.


 


 


P1050435


 


 


451C9052 I feel very proud of him I adore and I love him  with all my soul, I’m very happy  to have helped rear a baby like him,  thanks for being in my life MIRACLE!


Congratulations my boy!


You are truly my "Miracle"


 


LUCIA ANDRADE



14 comments:

  1. Lucia, the tears welled up in my eyes when I read your story. You have written it so well: you shared your feelings and allowed us who read it appreciate and understand even more all that you did and are doing. Well done and my congratulations to Miracle, you and Sue for not giving up. The photos are super by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice story Lucia. Happy birthday Miracle and congratulations to you on raising him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hearfelt gratitude goes to Lucia for her dedication to Miracle. She did all of the feeding and never once went to bed during the day. She looked after Miracle and did all her duties here as well.
    Lucia is not a trained horse lady she just has a huge heart.
    Miracle and I thank you Lucia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazingly heart warming story Lucia. Well done to you and of course a massive happy birthday to Miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sue, even when I'm gloomy, grummpy and blue your little gesture, makes me smile! Thank you all that you do!!!
    Really can't express in words how thankful I am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Gwen!
    Thank you for being so sweet... and congratulations for all your achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much John & Helen!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Miracle!
    I hope that he and you and Sue are going to celebrate Miracle's miracle in style.
    It was such a sad and yet happy story to read and I am sure that you have gone through all the possible emotions during his short life. At least something positive has come out of his mother's death.
    Well done for looking after him and giving him so much of your time. You were obviously speaking in that irresistible Spanish voice to him and it worked it's magic!
    See you later in the month when Kobi comes for his short holiday with you all. Hope Teddy will be ready for the rough and tumbles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vanda and Barry Greenwood8 October 2009 at 11:52

    Dear Lucia - Steve and Val sent me this story of Miracle (my E Mail has changed as you will see) - What a wonderful story - Barry and I had tears in our eyes - we had our own horses for 30 years so know how they get under your skin - just like our 2 Vizslas - Toby and Darcy. What amazing dedication on your part - how did you carry on each day with no sleep??
    Well done but I am sure you are richer for having been so close to Miracle - wonderful photos!
    Love from us and Darcy and Toby - who we adore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story Sue, brought tears to my eyes but shows the determination and dedication of Lucia!
    Love Barbara & Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lucia, what a lovely story, maybe you will introduce us to Miracle when we se you just before Christmas best bisous Steve and val.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue & Lucia,
    what an uplifting story & a huge well done for making this such an enjoyable,informative and entertaining site.
    Each time I log on there is either something that inspires,humours or educates me,
    best to you both,
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patsy Jones Thompson9 October 2009 at 14:50

    Hi Lucia. I am like Sue, with tears in my eyes whilst reading your article. It shows true devotion and love for a dear little horse who came into this world against all odds, and thanks to you has been given a chance to live the life that his mother has given him. What an achievement !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisette Swiderski11 November 2009 at 05:19

    Dear Lucia,
    what a great story you wrote. And even though I know miracle is not always the easiest horse to keep, (Maybe you should have named him rascal in stead.) he has his sweet moments. I will be back in France by the end of December and can't wait to see how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete