Thursday 4 March 2010

" Luna of Nearly Heaven"

Luna 02/03/09


by Lucia Andrade


I thought that today, it would be a day like any other but I was wrong, after a long and intense day, while my boss was night flying, I decided to accommodate all the  animals including horses, ducks, chickens and sheep into their pens slightly before the proper time.


P1020054 While I was putting the chickens and ducks away, I looked towards the sheep field and  I noticed that one of the sheep was inside the pen when normally she always lives outside in the fields, that's when doubt entered my mind.






P1020056 I saw that she was  having contractions, then I decided to come closer and tried to help her, but she started attacking me and like any human being if an animal is facing you, you tend to take a few steps back ("anyway that's what I do" ). After a few minutes I tried again without success.





P1020060 After that  I decided not to mess around if she was going against me but to  my surprise " Romeo"( a castrated male sheep)  was there trying to  stop me,and also trying to mate with her ......."Males! ".
He was very focused on me so, I  decided to go for some food and try to put him out of my way ! 





P1020067 It was getting darker and darker and there I was, scared with no one to help me with the poor little sheep who was still suffering.
Finally the sheep realised that she was needing my help so she let me go near her, I was with a pair of gloves, a torch and my jacket, after a long 15 minutes I managed to bring the little baby lamb into this world.






P1020070 P1020071
P1020072 P1020073
P1020074 P1020080


P1020075



 " Romeo still around! " 



 




  P1020097 Now my only problem was trying to bring them inside one of our stables, in which I put some fresh straw, an infra red lamp and food for the mum, it was cold outside and with the baby in one hand and the torch in the other on,  I tried my best to bring them over, it was quite difficult because I had to pass under the metal fence and then try to make the mum follow me.


P1020098


At the end both were inside the stable and there I was sharing her first minutes of life, now I can say that  I have got another "Miracle" called "Luna"




P1020052
  Luna = Moon


Lucia Andrade ( sorry about my english)



8 comments:

  1. Lorraine Thomas4 March 2010 at 13:42

    Well done Lucia, it sounds like there is never a dull moment at Nearly Heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done lucia
    looking forward to seeing more news on the "new baby".....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jus' a note to say...
    Thank you very much for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Lucia and Luna :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Well done you, and of course a big welcome to the Limousin to Luna. I imagine her mum is pretty relieved it is all over as well! As for Romeo, his name says it all, although if he is a castrated male, perhaps Juliet would be more appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Carol-Ann for your comment!
    Every day is a new aventure :)
    How is my boy doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for sharing your surprise with us. Great pictures by the way - I can see you're always well prepared. I'm sure the oink oinks and quack quacks will be waiting for you now.

    ReplyDelete